Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Recreation of the Herbal Kind


You may or may not be surprised to learn that a majority of law students partake in some form of herbal recreation on a semi-regular basis.  I started my semester thinking I was in the minority.  It is both comforting and distressing to see how wrong I was.  Since last August or so when I made the decision to go to law school, I was under the impression that my fellow classmates would be cutthroat, antagonistic, arrogant little pricks.  And while there are certainly some of that persuasion, I have found many more of them to be quite decent.  I wonder if my school is just the exception or if my freshmen impressions were based on an antiquated stereotype still being perpetrated by already existing lawyers who don’t relish the idea of adding new members to their club.  It's no secret that California is inundated with lawyers.  If I were already in that club I'd want it to be exclusive too.  But either way, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by the caliber of students I've met so far.  They know how to not take themselves too seriously.  And hey, I haven't gotten any of my class notes erased off my laptop after leaving it in the library unattended so I could slip out and smoke.  I count myself lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment